Today I had to leave the house to go help my grandfather get groceries. I’ve been tasked to watch after the family dog this week. She docent like to be alone so I came up with this idea to leave my laptop on and call it to check on her and make sure she wasn’t barking too much. In this post I’ll list what I did to make this work cause its easy and you want to keep an eye on your pets while you are not home.
- Fist off you need Skype installed on booth devices you are going to use and the one you will be calling should be a Mac or a PC. For me I used my laptop and my iPhone 4S.
- You will also need 2 Skype accounts one for your one for each device.
- Next on the device you will be calling go to Tools>Calls then click show advanced options and check mark accept incoming calls automatically and start my video automatically when I’m in a call.
- Then you can change any settings you want to change like the cam settings and audio settings. I had to do this cause I used an external web cam and mic, not the one that came with my laptop.
- Once you have done all this you can sign in on your calling device and add your receiving account to your friends list and call it to test it out. When you call the receiving computer it should pick right up and start video.
This is a good way to just check up on your pets quick when you are out of the house. I’m sure for some ambitious people out there you could get something like a Raspberry Pie and make a dedicated Skype computer to use to check up on your pets. For me I’m using an old laptop to do this kind of thing in the future. I hope someone out there will find this useful.